Saturday, October 31, 2009

TICK TOCK


‘Tis the last day of October.

Changing seasons, but yet You’re still here with me.

This time I was there for the last official MUOCF meet of the year! :) And the high turnover rate really reminds me that time waits for no one. It’s been almost two years since I’ve met some of them, and only less than six month for others. Although I’ve not been there all the time, but my MUOCF cell will always hold a special place in my heart because it is my very first fellowship here in Melbourne. So I’m making up for lost time by studying with people before they fly off straight after their exams (like they always do!). Oh, and yesterday we wrote our last words for each other, which is already blu.tacked on my wall. Thanks Christine! =D

Yesterday too, was the last day of our intensive 8am to 5pm lectures & student presentations for Women’s health (I still have one month of wards & clinics though!). We had a lecture on population growth, which turned out to be a discussion session and the message of the speaker was “Freedom for women from excessive fertility.” – that contaceptives should be made available over the counter, especially in developing countries, where the ‘problem’ is most rampant. His grand plan to save the world was to ship boxes of The Pill off to these countries! (excuse my bias-ness). In the middle of the discussion, he picked a Muslim girl and asked her to give an opinion on how Muslims view contraception. At the end of her mini-speech, I was very tempted to clap indeed – the gist of what she said, was that contraception was not prohibited, but Muslims believe that children were a gift from God, and as such it is not thought of as a problem but a blessing, and therefore very few Muslims would want contraception although it isn’t prohibited. And that abortion is definitely a no-no. I respect her indeed, for saying what she said, in the way she said it – respectful, but with no apologies.

Which brings the thought to mind, that as Christians, it is not acceptable to not have an opinion, or even to have a superficial one. The issue of abortion has come up several times during the course. It is not acceptable anymore, to keep mum about these things and not give a Christian perspective when issues like these crop up AND it is not acceptable that the only voice heard from Christians is that of protesting against abortion. It is rather ignorant to think that it is as simple as making abortion illegal - it is not. In an ideal world, there would be no abortions, but we do not live in an ideal world.

I’ve realized so much more that the clock is ticking. Despite studying medicine for 5 years, I’ve never thought of myself very much as a medical student. I’ve never really taken seriously where You’ve placed me currently. But it is time. Joining the Christian Medical & Dental Fellowship will be a good start next year.

Informed voices must be heard. It is not acceptable anymore to not have an opinion.

And the clock keeps ticking…..

Changing seasons.

Changing places.

Changing circumstances.

Changing roles.

But You remain the same, and Your years will never end. Ps 102:27


I am a Christian medical student returning to Malaysia.

No comments: