Yesterday someone said to me, “I try so hard to hang onto all my relationships, yet they always seem to slip away.”
OCF Anniversary Nite – a night where the old committee steps down and the new committee takes over. For the old committee, it is a time of letting go and moving on, and also a time of looking back and testifying of how God has grown, used and carried them through. For the new committee, it is a time of taking on in faith and preparation, and looking forward to God’s grace poured out in abundance that will enable them.
It is also a time of goodbyes. Old committee leaves, new leaders are redistributed and even cell groups reshuffled. No one is spared. Everyone says some sort of goodbye in one way or another.
Here I find myself blogging about goodbyes again. Try as I might, I know I can never avoid it, as long as there is Tomorrow. Through the years, I’ve said my fair share of goodbyes. Next week, I will say goodbye to a dear sister Pharosian. Next March, yet another one. And oh, don’t get me going about next December!!! Melbourne will be my toughest one yet.
We build up and let go. Build up and let go. Build up and let go.
It’s the same with every ministry and relationship. Think about it.
It takes a lot of time and effort to build up, only to let go. But we shall look harder, beyond that.
Ultimately every person and ministry belongs to God, not us. We build, to offer it back to God as a pleasing sacrifice – every person and ministry. If we have loved much, gave much, and fussed over much… we will find that when the time comes to offer it back, we will have no regrets. But of course, since they meant much to us as well – a fair share of tears will be shed.
But every single tear I cry is a diamond in His hands
And every door that slams in my face, I will offer up in prayer
So I'll give you every breath that I have
Oh Lord, you can work miracles
All that you need is my "Amen"
So take my five loaves and two fishes
Do with it as you will
I surrender
Take my fears and my inhibitions
All my burdens, my ambitions
You can use it all
I hope it's not too small
I trust in you
I trust in you
(Five loaves and two fishes - Corrinne May)
Lets look forward to the grand reunion then, when no more goodbyes will need to be said. And in the meantime, to hang on hard to God; love much, give much, and fuss over much – no matter how fast the goodbye will need to be said.
And as much as we can hang on to God, He hangs onto us harder still with an invincible grip – He will bring us through every tear, every heartbreak and every goodbye that needs to be said.
We will never slip out of His hands.
But there also lies a grim reminder – there can be goodbyes that last for an eternity.
Use us too, Oh God, that at the end of our days, we will not have to bear the regret of goodbyes that last for an eternity.
No comments:
Post a Comment