My upper highschool years were the ‘rebellious’ years. Everyone goes through those periods. Mine involved playing Metallica songs on the electric guitar in church. No, I am not proud of what I did then.
Those were also the years when I studied like never before (or again). As one friend commented, I ‘makan, minum & tidur bio’ (ate, drank and slept on biology). I was the bio queen. Needless to say I came out of highschool with a scholarship at hand.
Another thing I remember quite clearly during that time was when I went out for an altar call one Saturday night in church. The visiting preacher while praying for me said, “You should go out into the streets and lay your hands on people, and they will be healed!” HAHAHA! Until this day I still have no idea what he meant…perhaps he was ‘seeing in part and knowing in part’? Since I am hitting the streets now as part of soup van AND I will soon be a doctor and therefore sort of heal people? Or maybe one day I will literally lay hands on people on the streets and they will be healed??
Whatever it is, what he said did have an influence – I ticked the box that said ‘medicine’ in the scholarship application form!!!
And sitting here today in my room in Melbourne, 7 years into the future, I wonder, what if that preacher didn’t come to my church? What if I didn’t choose to go out for the altar call? (and I can’t remember what the altar call was about right now) Would I still have ticked ‘medicine’?
And what if I didn’t get a scholarship?
What if I never went to INTEC or IMU or came to Melbourne?
What if I never knew Ee Ling or Eu Pui or Matt or the countless other people who made an impact on my life?
What if I never had to step out/up or be broken or be stretched like how I was?
I honestly can’t imagine. I’m guessing that You would still have brought me to where I am today, through different means and different people. Tapi Tuhan, betapa ku mencintai segala yang telah terjadi.
And I stand in awe of Your hand upon my life, because I know that at every point and every turn, You were there guiding, lifting, carrying me - through it all; to be who You want me to be, who You’ve made me to be.
…all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Ps 139:16
3 comments:
metallica's enter sandman on eguitar? *gasps*
Yeah and other songs as well, as I said..AM NOT PROUD.
Btw I know who u are!...to be awake at this time and knowing Metallica therefore u must be ard my age!!!
I am just a passing acquaintance... there are many nocturnals and Metallica fans... I may eventually reveal myself by asking you in person whether you still perform enter sandman =)
Post a Comment