I am now 3 weeks into my General Practice Rotation, and loving it.
You never know what's going to walk through the door each day. Yes, I get my fair share of muscle sprains, diabetes mellitus and chronic pain... but that's not what I meant.
Life is a wonderfully fragile thing, and yet so rich - with experiences, dreams, feelings, lessons and encouragements. Everyday for me is like a day watching autobiographic movies - some beautifully imperfect, others weirdly amusing, and still others, awe inspiring - all with one catch: the author is just sitting right in front of me.
I never know what autobiography will be told to me each day.
Medicine might not be so bad afterall, although about a quarter of the time I get the diagnosis and management plan wrong.
I've also met a Paediatrician in the refugee clinic who did some time in Malawi (South Africa), and a patient whose mum was a doctor in Zimbabwe for a few years and is now working on improving public health in developing countries. Suddenly, medicine don't seem so frustrating or limiting no more. I've always known this, but it just sinks in even more now - medicine can bring me places - places I want to be - and it's all very real.
So as I see patient after patient, nine to five, with the standard consultations and gluteal antipsychotic injections and even frustrating aged health assessments on over 75 year olds (arrgh)... I look forward to next year and the years thereafter (eventhough my prince charming is still nowhere in sight).
Medicine can bring me places, but I hope that I bring places more than just Medicine - let me bring them You.
No comments:
Post a Comment