Saturday, May 09, 2009

LEFT AT THE ALTAR


I was browsing for books at a Christian bookshop on Friday night, and saw a book with a title that instantly drew me. As I stood there and read, my interest began to grow, not for the book itself and the remaining unread pages, but rather for the woman behind the book.

Kimberly Kennedy is her name. The night before her wedding, her fiance came not to rehearse, but with these five words, "I just can't do it." It has been 12 years since, and the amazing thing is that today, she is still single.

Countless women have told me stories of how they had a past relationship, and how since their new relationship they have been so happy, and also how much better their new significant others are compared to the last one. "God has someone much better for you," is also a phrase that I have heard much too often than I have liked. I know they mean well, but sometimes, what I hear them saying is, "You will be happy when the next one comes along, and not unless they do."

I find Kimberly Kennedy's story an inspiring one. How, she has found a new relationship, not with another man, but with the Man. And how, living and serving with this Man brings her such fulfillment and joy. She has not closed the door to marriage with another man, but yet it is not something that she aims for, because she is perfectly whole as she is - a single woman, in a relationship with God. She brings such a rare story of encouragement and hope that I have not got from other women, such that it makes me want to remain single intentionally, if only for that purpose alone - that I too can bring that rare message.

Even as her ex-fiance said regarding the book : She’s whole again,” Locke said. “And what I love most about the book is that it tells people that it’s OK to be single. You can be happy and whole and single. That’s a great message for people to hear on Valentine’s Day.” (the book debuted on Valentine's day)

Yes, indeed it's a great message. So much so that only one other message surpasses it - the message of the Cross, that God Himself yearns to be in a relationship with us, and that it is possible because of what Christ has done.

He is the One who says to us yesterday, today and forevermore, "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness." Jer 31:3

1 comment:

sarah o said...

That's a great msg and one to be reminded of :)